Ayutthaya was the capital of the Kingdom of Thailand for 417 years from B.E. 1893 (A.D. 1350) to B.E. 2310 (A.D. 1767).

During this period, in the second half of the 16th Century, foreigners began to come to the Kingdom and gradually increased in number. These foreigners were traders, missionaries, and some were engaged as volunteer guards of the King. During this same era, Japan was under the feudal system. However, with a succession of conquerors Lord Oda, Lord Toyotomi, and finally the Tokugawa Shogun, the feudalism was dissolved and the country was governed as a whole. Progress continued with the coming of the Portuguese to Tanegashima Island in 1543;
 

 
the first European to visit Japan. Japanese trade abroad was also boosted when the Japanese Authorities granted official permission to travel, for trading purposes, by issuing the “Shuin” (Red Seal). Along with the official ships bearing the seal, unauthorized ships also sailed to South East Asia with many Japanese. Among the travelers were those who came to Ayutthaya, the former capital of Thailand. The King granted permission to the Japanese, as well as other nationalities, to settle. At that time there were from 800 to 3,000 Japanese reported to be living in Ayutthaya of a total 8,000 in the Japanese settlement including Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese dependants and employees. This Japanese settlement was governed by the following leaders during different period. Ook Phra Sumihiro (1600-1610) Kyuemon Shiroi (1610-1617) Nagamasa Yamada, namely, Ookya Senapimuk (1617-1630).  

After the death of King Songdham in 1628, Yamada remained faithful to the royal sons. However, he had to leave the capital for Nakorn Srithamaraj and after suppressing a revolt, Yamada became Governor of the province and died there later.

In 1935, the Thai-Japanese Association was established in Bangkok. From old documents of the Dutch East India Company, the Association was able to locate the site of the old Japanese settlement of the Ayutthaya period and acquired 7.5 rai (12,000m2) of this land to maintain and develop as a memorial site of the old Japanese settlement.